- University of Oregon: Computer Vision (Spring 2020)
- Columbia University E6894: Deep Learning for Computer Vision, Speech, and Language, guest lecturer (Fall 2018)
- UIUC NPRE 451: Radiation Detection & Instrumentation Laboratory (Fall 2012, Spring 2013, Fall 2013)
- Tsinghua University, part-time lecturer at Work-Study Center (2005-2009)
Grant Review Panel
- National Institute of Food and Agriculture, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA-NIFA), 2018
Program Organizing Committee
- The 1st International Workshop and Challenge on AgriVision: Challenges and Opportunities for Computer Vision in Agriculture, CVPR 2020 (with Google X, Microsoft, Amazon, MIT, UIUC, GaTech)
- Workshop on Real-World Recognition from Low-Quality Images and Videos, ICCV, 2019
- Workshop on Weakly Supervised Learning for Real-World Computer Vision Applications, CVPR, 2019
- The 1st Learning from Imperfect Data (LID) Challenge, CVPR, 2019
- Huang Symposium, UIUC, 2016
- Frontiers in Big Data, ICT and Digital Humanities
- IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence (TPAMI)
- IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems (TNNLS)
- IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology (TCSVT)
- IEEE Transactions on Multimedia (TMM)
- Springer Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing (MULT)
Senior Program Committee & Area Chair
- International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI)
Conference Technical Program Committee
- IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR)
- IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV)
- European Conference on Computer Vision (ECCV)
- Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS)
- International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML)
- International Conference on Learning Representations (ICLR)
- The AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI)
- IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP)
- International Conference on Medical Image Computing and Computer Assisted Intervention (MICCAI)
- International Conference on Information Fusion (FUSION)
I suggest all my students follow this as well.
- What are you trying to do? Articulate your objectives using absolutely no jargon.
- How is it done today, and what are the limits of current practice?
- What is new in your approach and why do you think it will be successful?
- Who cares and why?
- If you’re successful, what difference will it make? What applications are enabled as a result?
- What are the risks?
- How much will it cost? How long will it take?
- What are the midterm and final check points to evaluate progress towards success?
- Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler. -- Albert Einstein
- The thing that differentiates scientists is a purely artistic ability to discern what is a good idea, what is a beautiful idea, what is worth spending time on and most importantly what is a problem that is sufficiently interesting yet sufficiently difficult that it hasn't yet been solved and yet the time for solving it has come. -- Savas Dimopoulos
- And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you. -- Friedrich Nietzsche
- Let this be my last word, that I trust thy love. -- Rabindranath Tagore
- 君子之于天下也，无适也，无莫也，义之与比。 -- 孔子
- There is no better land than a barren land, to show your fertility. -- HS